The Department of Latin American, Latino, and Iberian Studies offers classes in the languages, literatures, and cultures of the Iberian Peninsula and the Americas.
We are excited to welcome Sergi Belbel, internationally recognized for his work as a playwright, screenwriter, theatre director, and translator, as an NEH Visiting Artist in Residence with our department for the first two weeks of November. He will be visiting classes and holding workshops for students, and his visit will culminate in a staged reading of his play Morir on November 10.
We are excited to welcome Dr. Karina Vazquez as Director of Community-Based Learning.
Congratulations to the following award winners:
Outstanding LALIS Major, Westhampton College: Alex Marian
Outstanding LALIS Major, Richmond College: Conor Lemmon
Outstanding Teaching Assistant: Alex Marian
Outstanding Service to the Hispanic Community: Kristin Neil
LALIS Feature Stories
UR Learning Abroad: Gwen Setterberg, '15
UR Learning Abroad: Gwen Setterberg, ’15 discusses her academic year in Brazil and how living abroad gave new meaning and understanding to the music she loves to perform.
Latin American and Iberian Studies: Práctica Oral
In Práctica Oral, University of Richmond students learn Spanish through small group conversation. These interactive and fast-paced sessions are led by fellow undergraduate students who serve as assistant teachers.
- Play Reading: "Morir"Nov105:00 PM - 6:30 PMThe Department of Latin American, Latino, and Iberian Studies presents a staged reading in Spanish of Morir, a... Continue reading
- Mock Spanish, Gringoism and Talking About Race in Spanish Language ClassroomsNov114:00 PM - 5:30 PMThe Department of Latin American, Latino, and Iberian Studies welcomes Dr. Adam Schwartz from Oregon State University.... Continue reading
- Everybody Leaves (Colombia)Nov183:00 PM - 9:30 PM(Dir. Sergio Cabrera, Colombia, 2015) ... Continue reading
- Everybody Leaves (Colombia)Nov207:30 PM - 9:30 PM(Dir. Sergio Cabrera, Colombia, 2015) ... Continue reading
- Ferman Film
Dr. Claudia Ferman recently screened her short film, "LASA, 50 Years of Continuous Dialogue and Action,” at the United Nations.
- Ferman Appointment
Dr. Claudia Ferman has been elected to the Executive Council for the Latin American Studies Association, the largest professional association in the world for individuals and institutions engaged in the study of Latin America.
- Feldman Appointment
Dr. Sharon Feldman was elected “corresponding member” of the Reial Acadèmia de Bones Lletres de Barcelona (the Royal Academy of Good Letters of Barcelona), January 2015.
- Mendez de Coudriet Publications
Dr. Mariela Mendez de Coudriet saw recent publication of two co-edited books, Un libro quemado and Escrituras a ras del suelo: crónica latinoamericana del siglo xx as well as articles in Redes, alianzas y afinidades. Mujeres y escritura en América Latina and the Bulletin of Hispanic Studies
Department of Latin American, Latino, and Iberian Studies
University of Richmond
28 Westhampton Way
Carole Weinstein International Center
University of Richmond, VA 23173
Phone: (804) 484-1543
Fax: (804) 484-1544